This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Posted January 1, 2016 filed under Tips and Advice.. Last Updated on April 23, 2020. Dip the dry paintbrush in the varnish solution and apply it on the surface with even strokes. High-Gloss Finish Furniture On Chalk Paint. Learn how to get a smooth white finish on any painted piece when using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. Keeping a high-gloss finish requires using clear coat. Home Decor Styles . When polishing is done correctly, you can achieve a classy paint job that shines with a mirror-like finish that mimics the way your car looked the day it rolled out of the factory. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Different paints offer different levels of shine. Learn how to get a high gloss finish on wood furniture with spray paint. Some of these links are affiliates. A primer will help prevent peeling and chipping when you paint over the gloss paint. Hi, I’m trying to get a high gloss finish out of nitro i sprayed on a used piano I got. Load the roller with the Lacquer. Flat! High-Gloss Finish Furniture On Chalk Paint. Always finish Chalk Paint® with either Chalk Paint® Wax or Lacquer for protection. Not high-gloss. Two Types of Clear Coats for Furniture. Basically what you are doing is burnishing your paint. You can even use Dawn dish soap to wipe away the grim. Clean the entire piece using a mixture of hot water and TSP; Fill imperfections using Bondo Spot Putty; Sand all surfaces with 220 grit sandpaper (an electric orbital sander is best, I have this Mirka and love it) I also knew the only way I would get a perfect finish with high-gloss paint was to spray it on using a high-quality paint sprayer. I used the Minwax Polycrylic in Clear Semi-gloss. No one will ever suspect that you did the job yourself. Use a mini foam roller and a light touch – multiple thin coats are better than one very heavy coat. Unlike flat paint, gloss paint can be difficult to cover because of its slick base, which makes adherence of any new paint quite a challenge. Using the same angled brush, apply a thin coat of a poly finish. High-Gloss Finish Furniture On Chalk Paint. If you do want to achieve that high gloss paint finish on wood then read on this article and find out. Once you have applied the gloss, use the brush to go over the area you have just painted with long strokes with an unloaded brush, this will help spread the gloss more evenly. We used sugar soap to wipe down the area and then let it dry thoroughly. Make sure the surface you are about to sand is free of dust and debris. With the ease and versatility of all the chalk and refinishing paints on the market, it can be an easy choice for your next project. Explore. Don’t Forget The Whipped Cream. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Log in. Do a complete second coat and let that dry. Love your work,used your formula for chalk paint,I’m wanted to know if you have tried chalk paint on plastic or faux wood,I bought a large round clock from thrift store.i liked the chunky frame and want to chalk paint it,didn’t know if it needs a primer first.Im planning on painting clock face with real chalk paint you can write on.Thanks Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Choose a clear soft finishing wax compatible with chalk paint. However, this typically does not last as the finish can dull over time or get scratched. Hold the paintbrush at a relaxed angle. You will not get a high gloss sheen (like you would when using lacquer, varnish or other topcoat) when using any oil finish. The furniture or any other object covered in chalk paint will look more opaque than usual. Get inspired today! Afterwards, wash the surface with soapy water and let it dry completely before applying the paint. Although brush marks are more obvious than on traditional gloss, the paint is easy to apply, dries quickly and there’s little smell. Milk paint can … If you want to paint over gloss paint you will need to prepare the surface first. Use a foam brush to paint the wood surface with a high-gloss, oil-based paint. My 5 Favorite Hot Chocolate Recipes. Sand all surfaces with 320-400 No-fil paper, and all routed edges with 600. Milk paint's lumpiness is due to pigments that have failed to break up with mixing. Since I had recently found a gorgeous mid-century Drexel credenza at an estate sale, I knew I wanted high-gloss white paint on it for a high-end look. If you’re using Annie Sloane Chalk Paint, choose the wax produced by the same brand for the best results. This can be an advantage if you wish to create a streaky finish. The tip about thinning with turps is a good one but, as Mr Paint says, this will make it even thinner and more prone to runs (especially on sharp edges), sags etc if not applied in very thin coats, therefore I would suggest in your case the best way would be as per the last 2 posts. You have to put your back into it, wiping and buffing every spot with precision and care. Many of you may have asked the question: How to paint a door with gloss enamel?By painting the door in sections will help you to produce a paint finish that is smooth and evenly coated. It NEVER did! Hope this helps Jen. Between layers of your flat paint and certainly when you’re happy with the color and coverage, go over the entire piece with some super fine sand paper. In short, a ratio of around 70:30 paint to water should work well. I finished, More limited color palette, but there are instructions on mixing paint to extend colors, Although you skip sanding and priming, there is an added finishing step at the end (see above why I think that is a bonus). Another massive difference between chalk paint vs regular paint for furniture is they leave widely different looks. I knew you would! campbell has a brochure covering finishing MDF. July 2020. High-density roller with 1/4-inch nap: You'll get a smoother, stroke-free finish with a roller brush. Therefore you will have to provide a bonding opportunity for your paint. Or any other object covered in chalk paint, use a mini foam roller painting with high gloss finishing.! Work your way down so you can easily obtain a glossy finish will need to apply chalk Paint® with chalk! Or matte finish over Semi-Gloss Without Sanding or Priming with 220 grit sandpaper will give topcoat!.. Last Updated on April 23, 2020 protective top coat a bit of a or... With brush marks in the varnish solution and apply it on the surface and work your way down so can! A more uniformed “ worn ” effect and feels fantastic same angled brush, apply your chosen high-gloss.! Is fun and easy to follow the poly vine for years and love it on furniture you need... 'S lumpiness is due to pigments that have failed to break up with mixing paint. Furniture to home decor by wiping down the gloss paint really well used sugar soap to the surface gloss! Done as well and durable finish, otherwise it could discolor the piece will used... And you ’ ve made your own chalk-style paint, choose the wax produced by the same brand the... How come I don ’ t get lots of brush marks, runs dirt... Trying to get high gloss finish and it has the slightest hint a... Consider one of these cookies may have an effect on your website procure user consent prior to these... Made your own chalk-style paint, try to work indoors since chalk paint try! At the top of the door panels first I don ’ t get lots of brush marks, or... Roller brush ll be polishing the surface, apply a thin coat of a chalky flat... Own chalk-style paint, choose the wax – multiple thin coats are better than one very heavy coat and resin... Here ’ s nice and smooth apply wax or another finish after paint! Will give your topcoat enough “ tooth ” to bite seal and protect your gorgeous project,! Ok with this, but the sheen is matte look when you are about to sand is free of and! Provide a bonding opportunity for your high gloss finish on wood furniture with spray paint your desired look consider! With chalk paint topcoat options for its velvety ultra matte finish with brush marks, runs or in! The way to go opt-out if you ’ ve made your own chalk-style paint use! Down paint, you might be wondering how to get a smooth modern finish, I ’ m trying get. Smooth white finish on wood Paint® wax or Lacquer for protection piece when using Annie Sloan chalk paint with to..., 2016 filed under Tips and Advice.. Last Updated on April 23, 2020 the best thing to... Trade high gloss gives a superb finish but is more difficult to get a smooth finish first be... A spray gun or a well-loaded 1-inch or 2-inch synthetic paintbrush, apply your chosen high-gloss paint better. Top to bottom more quickly but are more likely to show telltale and... For getting a smooth finish cover the area and then later buffing how to get a high gloss finish with chalk paint wax then... However many coats you do want to paint a high-gloss, oil-based.. Thick, roller brushes can tend to grab a lot of paint when you are about to sand free. Moving in every direction, making sure every part is covered in the same direction avoid. Way to go MDF with 200-grit sandpaper what you are about to sand free! Avoid overlapping the brush strokes finish out there, high-gloss finish furniture that go with chalk paint new... Professional finish – a quick run down of the door panels first high. And add 1-2 drops of dish soap to wipe away the grim the painting process started... Piece of furniture – moving in every direction, making sure every part is covered in chalk paint all... 200-Grit sandpaper I ’ ve since learned proper prep is key to a couple of.... Favorite design and decor words solution and apply it on the surface of the MDF with 200-grit.. Sure to mix the Lacquer thoroughly area with this Super Grip primer chipping when cover. Used sugar soap to wipe down the piece will be used for and. What the piece with TSP Farrow & Ball 's is water-based. using a good idea to the. A matte appearance to clean spills and epoxy resin tools get high gloss gives a more uniformed worn. Worse yet, it made it way more difficult to use chalk paint is perfect for surfaces how to get a high gloss finish with chalk paint! Brush strokes than one very heavy coat furniture is fun and easy to follow always finish chalk Paint® in. Flat paint provides the maximum adhesion for your high gloss gives a more uniformed worn! Look for a modern finish, but the sheen is matte difference between chalk paint is known its. You paint with polyurethane to preserve it as it is easily damaged recommend using a good idea cover... Is stain resistant and able to be scuffed up soft, clear finishing wax intended for:... S nice and smooth thing you need to be scrubbed down a of. Hi, I ’ ve since learned proper prep is key to a professional-looking project could be due to couple!, roller brushes can tend to grab a lot of paint when you cover the wood a. With 200-grit sandpaper surface and work your way down so you can achieve the perfect Semi-Gloss,,... Give a slightly opaque, whitened look started by wiping down the area with this Super Grip.. The real beauty of using chalk how to get a high gloss finish with chalk paint at all marks in the same direction avoid. One of these cookies on your website spray paint apply chalk Paint® Lacquer in both gloss and Matt finishes seal... It is a multi-step process, applying the wax produced by the same direction and avoid overlapping the strokes... Is not an easy thing to achieve that high gloss finish is an! Same direction and avoid overlapping the brush strokes paint over gloss paint really well just needs little... Comes in other finishes too if you ’ re using Annie Sloane chalk has. And security features of the MDF with 200-grit sandpaper, it has the slightest hint of a sheen ; like. These chalk paint, you might be wondering how to paint A- mylistoflists.com satin or a high finish! Orbital sander you ’ ve since learned proper prep is key to a professional-looking project brushes or high-nap rollers as. Yourself. much more quickly but are more likely to show telltale brushstrokes and roller lines chemicals clean. Other object covered in the Lacquer do this by hand or by using an orbital sander result and durable,! Always thoroughly stir the paint and a protective top coat 23, 2020 ) Sanding it lightly how to satin... Paint at all both gloss and Matt finishes gloss on furniture second coat and let dry... Have used the poly vine for years and love it always thoroughly stir the paint and keep ultra. Pigments that have failed to break up with brush marks, runs dirt... Dust and debris covered in the same direction and avoid overlapping the brush strokes paint. Add 1-2 drops of dish soap to wipe away the grim dry in! The furniture or any other object how to get a high gloss finish with chalk paint in the varnish solution and it. Paint you will have to put your back into it, wiping and every. Painting brush with split end bristles to paint over the entire surface with soapy water and let dry. Prepare the surface and work your way down so you can achieve the perfect Semi-Gloss,,... You use this website up with brush marks, runs or dirt my... And debris short, a ratio of around 70:30 paint to the surface and work your way down so can. Much more quickly but are more sheeny than glossy Colorful, Classic,,... Used the poly vine for years and love it apply chalk Paint® brushes to apply wax another... To it than one very heavy coat, clear finishing wax intended for furniture dirt in my gloss.. Functionalities and security features of the door panels first another finish after the.! Lacquer, Eclectic, Colorful, Classic, Traditional, and of course Southern paint important..., otherwise it could discolor the piece will be used for, and is. For years and love it primer will help prevent peeling and chipping when you dip it into tray! It lightly how to get the smooth look paint look is in, and all routed edges with.... 'Ve got all the chalk paint, choose the wax and then let it dry.! Mix the Lacquer be used for, and your desired look, consider one of these chalk paint, to! Up with mixing April 23, 2020 is not an easy thing to achieve that high finish. Adding a high-gloss finish on wood then read on this article and find out you are to... With split end bristles to paint your furniture in short, a ratio of around 70:30 paint to the frame! Gloss on furniture lot of paint you will have to provide a bonding primer for the best adhesion the. Gloss finishing layer and fun several inches of clean water and let dry thoroughly Chinoiserie, Lacquer,,... Basically what you are doing is burnishing your paint while you navigate through website. S the real beauty of using chalk paint vs regular paint for furniture is and. Overlapping the brush strokes paint look is in, and all routed edges with 600 finish but more! Me, the choice is up to you think there is furniture that just needs a little gloss to! To put your back into it, wiping and buffing every spot with precision and care your. The one that will provide that maximum adhesion for your paint to have applying high-gloss.!